Thursday, June 2, 2011

Turkey Burgers with Zucchini Recipe

Pin It now! I am seriously obsessed with skinnytaste.com. My obsession started about 2 months ago when my husband and I decided we were ready to lose weight together. We had both wanted to lose weight for a couple of years now, but we weren't ready to make the lifestyle changes that we needed to in order to be successful. I'm not sure what "clicked" but we are both ready now. In the last two months we have been eating healthier, exercising, drinking only water and lots of it, and just being a lot more active. Since the second week in April (almost 2 months ago) I have lost almost 16 pounds and my husband has lost 21 pounds!

I was so excited when I came across Gina's recipes at Skinny Taste and couldn't wait to start trying some of them. So far we have tried at least 10 of them and have loved them all! I'm going to start sharing the ones that we try here, along with any other new (or old favorites) recipes that we try and love. I know you could easily hop on over to Gina's blog (and I think you should!) and see these recipes there for yourself, but I like getting recipes from friends that I know they love so I figured you might too! (We're friends, right? ;) ) I also like to make a few changes to some of the recipes that we try to sort of make it our own, so the recipes that I post might be a little different from Gina's. :) We've been counting calories and not going over our daily calorie goal, and Gina posts how many calories are in each of her recipes which helps out a lot! Of course if you change the recipe up a little bit you will have to add or subtract calories to get an accurate count. If anybody knows of anymore recipe blogs like hers please let me know. :)

Anyway, have I rambled enough yet? Let's get to the recipe already! ;)



Turkey Burgers with Zucchini (recipe from SkinnyTaste.com)
Servings: 5 • Serving Size: 1 burger no bun Calories: 156

  • 1.25 lbs 93% lean ground turkey
  • 1 small zucchini, grated
  • 1/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
  • 1 clove garlic, grated
  • 1 tbsp red onion, grated
  • salt and fresh pepper

In a large bowl, combine ground turkey, zucchini, breadcrumbs, garlic, onion, salt and pepper. Make 5 equal patties. Barbeque burgers until they are cooked all the way through.

Easy enough, right? Adding the zucchini means less calories and fat per serving and they taste yummy! My husband and I agreed that we would be adding some garlic next time though.

Only my husband and I were eating these burgers (Dawson isn't a big meat eater yet) so I only used 6 or 7 ounces of ground turkey and adjusted the rest of the recipe around that.

Since the turkey burgers called for zucchini and I wasn't making the entire recipe I had some zucchini left over, so I decided to make zucchini chips to go with them. I'll post that recipe tomorrow, it's one of our favorite sides (even Dawson approves!). See the baked zucchini chips recipe here.


Does anybody else use sandwich thins instead of regular buns? We love them! And they're only 100 calories for the entire "bun". We like to use them with sandwiches also but we still use our whole wheat bread, too.

I plan on writing a little bit more about our weight loss journey in the next few weeks, we still have a while to go before we meet our end goals so I am sure they I'll have plenty to write about.

No comments: