Monday, May 2, 2011

French Dip Recipe

Pin It now!

Today is my husband's birthday and he has requested french dip sandwiches for his birthday dinner. I have been meaning to post this recipe for awhile now (I actually uploaded the pictures on March 27th and this post has been sitting there waiting to be edited since. ha!) so I figured I might as well post it now since I am reminded about how much we love this recipe! (It's been in the crock pot for a little over an hour already and the house smells wonderful!!)

If you're like me and the thought of soggy bread completely grosses you out, don't worry, you can eat french dip without eating soggy bread! You just have to make sure you toast the bread really well and it won't get soggy at all when you dip it. It's SO good!

Ok, so this is a pretty simple recipe but it tastes fabulous!

French Dip (adapted from Allrecipes)

What You'll Need

  • 4 pounds rump roast
  • 1 onion, sliced
  • 1 (10.5 ounce) can beef broth
  • 2 (10.5 ounce) can condensed French onion soup
  • 6 fluid ounces of dark beer
  • garlic powder
  • pepper
  • 6 French rolls
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • Mozzarella cheese

Directions

  1. Trim excess fat from the rump roast, and place in slow cooker. Add the beef broth, onion soup, beer and onion. Sprinkle with garlic powder and pepper and stir a little bit. Cook on Low setting for 7 hours. (I slice the meat when there is about an hour left and then put it back in the crock pot to finish cooking)
  2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  3. Split French rolls, and spread with butter. Bake 10 minutes, or until heated through. (After 10 minutes I turn the oven to broil and keep them in a couple minutes longer, just keep an eye on them)
  4. If you haven't already, slice the meat on the diagonal, and place on the rolls.
  5. Top with cheese and put back in the oven (I still have it on broil) until the cheese is melted.
  6. Serve with sauce for dipping.
When I am making this just for the two of us (Dawson isn't a big meat eater) I only use a pound of meat but keep everything else the same and we always have leftovers.


I am totally looking forward to dinner tonight! Good choice, babe, and happy birthday!!! I love you!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Oh my that looks delicious and will be going on the menu for the second half of the month! I started using Pinterest this morning and thought your sandwich deserved to be my first pin!