Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Apple Fritter Recipe

Pin It now! When I saw this apple fritter recipe over at Oh My! Sugar High yesterday I knew I had to try it right away! I did make a few changes and they came out perfectly so I will go ahead and post the recipe that I used.


Apple Fritters
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 cup milk
  • 3 tablespoon butter, melted
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled and diced
  • Vegetable oil for frying
Glaze
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons milk

Pour 1 1/2 inch deep vegetable oil into pan and heat over medium heat. Allow it to heat up as you are making the batter.

Combine flour, baking powder, salt, brown sugar and cinnamon in a medium bowl stirring with a fork to break up any clumps.

Add milk, butter and eggs. Mix together well.

Mix in diced apples.

To make the glaze just stir together the powdered sugar and milk. Set aside until fritters come out of the oil.

Using a large spoon (or a small ice cream scoop) gently place some batter into the oil. I probably only used 2-3 tablespoons of batter for each fritter, I made them small to ensure the insides cooked completely. Once the batter starts bubbling around the edges and a little in the middle (kind of like pancake batter does) it's time to flip it. You can also peek every 30 seconds or so and when the bottom looks brown enough it's time to turn it over. Brown on the other side and then using tongs take the fritter out and place on a paper towel.

Using a butter knife spread the glaze on the top of the fritters while they are still hot.


I made ours pretty dark brown because hubby and I both like a little bit of crispness on the outside and the middle is still soft and yummy!

These turned out SO good!!! I had to throw my first 3 away because the inside wasn't done completely, I just had to play around with the oil temperature a little until I got it just right.

I definitely recommend making these and eating them the same day. My husband and I each ate one last night (ok, maybe we each had two!) and they were perfect. We wrapped up the extras and today they are not very good, to me at least. Hubby took some to work and I haven't been able to ask him what he thinks of them. The outside is no longer crisp and they are almost soggy in the middle. Next time I make them I will definitely do it in the morning and I'll make sure we have people to share them with!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

These look wonderful. I bet they would be great with apple cider.

Hippie Mama Kelly said...

Thanks for the recipe. I have a giant bag of apples left over still from apple picking and I was running out of ideas. Looks like I know what to make next!

Chocolate Freckles said...

Apple fritters!! It looks so yummy!